IRRIGATION DEVELOPMENT PROJECT IN THE LÚRIO RIVER BASIN
Project’s Name: Quelimane – Nicoadala
Project’s Location: Zambézia Province (Actual Traffic AADT: 2500)
Type of Investment: Loan
Project Description: The section of road which is the subject of the appointment is approximately 68km long and forms part of the infrastructure known as the Corredor da Zambézia (Zambézia Corridor) and extends from the capital city of Zambézia Province, Quelimane (km 0) to the villages of Nicoadala (km 35.1) and then Namacurra (km 67.6). The N1 forms a key part of the primary road network and is the main link between the north and south of the country. The section is one of the last remaining portions of the N1 requiring rehabilitation.
Project Objective: Improve the condition of road, reducing the travel time and operational cost of vehicles, consequently efficiency on movement of goods and peoples along the corridor and access to Quelimane.
Available products and benefits:
- Provide the traffic safety by maintaining the existing roads and bridges and the improvement of road alignment of dangerous spots and non-well aligned sections;
- Provide safe environment for markets next to road and pedestrians;
- Reduce the vehicle operation costs for road users;
- Provide economic efficiency Road and Bridge Management and Maintenance plans;
- Improve environmental condition along the road.
- Truism: Zalala,
- Access to Quelimane Port
- Agriculture development along the corridor
Existing and Recommended Public Infraestructures:
- Rehabilitation and widening of the road;
- Rehabilitation of existing bridges and culverts
- USD 80 Million
Economic & Financial Indicators: